Thursday, March 21, 2013

Low Fat Greek Salad


Greek salad is one of my favourite meals especially during spring and summer. I love the crispiness of the veggies and the colours! I don't like many bottled dressings though so I often make my own oil/vinegar dressing. In this recipe though I use only reduced balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. By reducing the vinegar it becomes syrupy and much sweeter. I find that I don't need the olive oil - which is great if you are watching your calorie intake (and I would rather give up the oil than the feta!).



Serves 2.


Ingredients

2 large tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/3 c kalamata olives, pits removed and roughly chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, grated
1 large bunch of fresh basil
3/4 c feta cheese (I use one that comes already cubed)
1 lemon, juiced
1/4-1/3 cup reduced balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste


Instructions


  1. Lightly toss all of the vegetables, olives, basil and feta together.
  2. Divide between plates.
  3. Drizzle vinegar and lemon juice on each plate.
  4. Salt and pepper as desired.





How to reduce vinegar:

  • Place two cups of balsamic vinegar in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat.
  • Bring to a simmer (not a full boil) and watch carefully for 20 or minutes.
  • I usually reduce it by half but it's totally up to you. Taste it every 5-10 minutes to see how it tastes.
  • Store in the fridge.

1 comment: