Greek salad is one of my favourite meals especially during spring and summer. I love the crispiness of the veggies and the colours! I don't like many bottled dressings though so I often make my own oil/vinegar dressing. In this recipe though I use only reduced balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. By reducing the vinegar it becomes syrupy and much sweeter. I find that I don't need the olive oil - which is great if you are watching your calorie intake (and I would rather give up the oil than the feta!).
Ingredients2 large tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/3 c kalamata olives, pits removed and roughly chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, grated
1 large bunch of fresh basil
3/4 c feta cheese (I use one that comes already cubed)
1 lemon, juiced
1/4-1/3 cup reduced balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly toss all of the vegetables, olives, basil and feta together.
- Divide between plates.
- Drizzle vinegar and lemon juice on each plate.
- Salt and pepper as desired.
How to reduce vinegar:
- Place two cups of balsamic vinegar in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer (not a full boil) and watch carefully for 20 or minutes.
- I usually reduce it by half but it's totally up to you. Taste it every 5-10 minutes to see how it tastes.
- Store in the fridge.