|Curried Coconut Milk Prawns - an easy week night meal|
2 cans (13½ ounces/400 ml) of coconut milk
2 tablespoons (30 ml) or so of medium curry powder
1 ½ teaspoons (5 ml) of soy sauce
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
2 cups frozen peas or edamame
3 cups fresh spinach
1 cup chopped pineapple (preferably fresh)
1 pound (450 g) of fresh or thawed frozen medium prawns, shells off but tails can be left on if desired (see pic), deveined
- Over medium heat sauté onions and curry powder until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Add spinach and pineapple and continue to sauté until spinach is just beginning to wilt.
- If your pan is big, add the coconut milk, otherwise transfer the mixture to a large pot and add the coconut milk. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add soy sauce.
- Stir in the peas and prawns. Lower the heat until it is barely simmering. Continue stirring until the prawns are cooked through (curled and red - about 5 minutes).
- Serve or its own or over rice/couscous.